Men are from Mars and girls are from…effectively, you realize the story.
But is it the identical when it comes to our pores and skin? And why ought to we care?
Well, there may be the “sharing products” factor. Is your physique wash okay in your husband to use? Should you each be moisturizing with an evening cream? What about zits, growing older, and shaving?
We determined to dig into it and offer you some solutions.
How the Skin is Different in Men and Women
First of all, the fundamental query: are they completely different?
The quick reply is, “yes.” In basic:
- Thickness: A person’s pores and skin is about 25 % thicker than a lady’s.
- Thinning: A person’s pores and skin will skinny step by step with age, whereas a lady’s will stay fixed till after menopause when it would all of the sudden skinny considerably after which proceed as she ages.
- Collagen: Men have a better collagen density than girls—that means there’s extra collagen per sq. inch of pores and skin, making the pores and skin stronger and extra resistant to growing older. In basic, males’s pores and skin seems to age extra slowly than girls’s because of this, although solar publicity can have an effect on that.
- Texture: The texture of a person’s pores and skin is rougher, and the outer layer is thicker.
- Sebum: In basic, sebum (pores and skin oil) manufacturing is larger in males after puberty, which is why males could have a higher wrestle with zits.
- Sweat: Men sweat greater than twice as a lot as girls and are extra susceptible to sweating. This leads to a male’s pores and skin showing extra hydrated than a lady’s.
- Shaving sensitivities: Because males shave so usually, they will develop delicate pores and skin on their faces, requiring extra cautious remedy.
- Aging points: Aging seems to have an effect on male pores and skin later in life. When it does, frequent points embrace sagging, puffy eyes, and darkish circles. Men have fewer tremendous traces than girls, however when wrinkles type, they have an inclination to be deeper grooves, notably alongside expression traces.
- Cancer: Men are extra doubtless to die of melanoma—essentially the most severe kind of pores and skin most cancers—than girls are. By the age of 50, they’re additionally extra doubtless to develop melanoma within the first place. By the age of 65, males are 2 occasions as doubtless to get it. Part of the issue is that many males don’t shield their pores and skin from the solar, but it surely’s additionally true that males’s pores and skin is extra doubtless to be broken by the solar’s UV rays.
Considering these variations, ought to males be caring for his or her pores and skin in another way than girls?
How Men’s Skin Care Differs from Women’s
The fundamentals of excellent pores and skin care are the identical for each women and men. Both want to cleanse, tone, and moisturize twice a day, in addition to shield in opposition to pores and skin most cancers. But there are key variations males might want to pay attention to.
1. Protect from the Sun!
Since males are extra in danger for lethal pores and skin most cancers, they want to step up their solar safety. Sunscreens can scale back the danger by up to 50 %, but it surely’s essential to put on hats and long-sleeved shirts and pants, as effectively, notably if you’re out in throughout peak hours.
The fundamental goal is to keep away from getting burned. Both women and men want to be careful for this, however males specifically want to have a greater understanding of their danger.
2. Protect When Shaving
Consistent shaving takes off the very skinny high layer of pores and skin. This acts as a type of exfoliation, which will help encourage cell turnover however also can lead to sensitivity. If the pores and skin is getting purple and irritated from shaving, observe these steps:
- Always soak the pores and skin in heat water first.
- Apply just a little oil below your shaving cream—strive jojoba, coconut, or almond.
- Use a wealthy, lathering cream that can shield your pores and skin.
- Use a top quality razor, and throw it out after 5-10 shaves. If your pores and skin begins getting irritated, that’s an indication it’s time for a brand new razor.
- Shave with the hair progress and loosen up in your stress.
- Follow with an anti-inflammatory and fuss-free spray, like our Rescue + Relief Spray.
- Moisture after each shave, no exceptions!
3. Treat Acne Constantly
A person susceptible to zits wants to keep on high of it with constant care. Men’s pores are sometimes bigger and may extra simply develop into clogged. Try these tips:
- Keep the pores and skin clear. Wash a couple of occasions a day for those who want to. Use a mild, creamy cleanser that received’t dry out your pores and skin. Always moisturize afterward. Dry pores and skin reacts by producing extra oil.
- Use salicylic acid. Look for a cleanser or moisturizer (or each) with salicylic acid in it. It’s confirmed to assist combat zits and may preserve your pores and skin pimple-free. Use it as wanted.
- Keep your arms away out of your face. Oils in your fingers and palms can in a short time switch to pimples in your face.
- Use a cleaning brush. A cleaning brush in your face and/or physique will be very efficient at cleaning pores. If you’ve gotten zits in your again, a brush could be a life-changer. Go mild, although—brushes which are too tough or stiff may cause harm and redness, typically main to extra zits.
- Disinfect your razor. Razors can harbor micro organism that may then be redeposited again in your face. Store your razor in a dry place (not within the bathe) and after every use, dunk it into rubbing alcohol to clear away any germs.
- Exfoliate: Using mild acids like glycolic and lactic will help enhance your shaving expertise and scale back the looks of pores. Use mild exfoliating serums a couple of times per week.
4. Moisturize As Needed
Men usually produce extra sebum than girls, so that they don’t normally want as thick a moisturizer as girls do. They do nonetheless want moisture, nevertheless, notably after shaving and showering.
Choose a light-weight, fragrance-free moisturizer with anti-inflammatory elements to assist deter zits. We’d advocate our Body Repair Lotion and Calming Moisture for the Face, Neck, and Scalp. They each have anti-inflammatory elements and pure oils so that they received’t clog pores. Our Calming Moisture has oat extract too, which will help soothe delicate pores and skin and forestall itch after shaving.