You’ve heard the suggestions. “You should get rid of dead skin. It builds up and makes you dull. Exfoliate regularly if you want to look younger.”
All this speak about lifeless pores and skin. What is it anyway, and why are we so obsessed?
What Is Dead Skin?
It’s kind of creepy to assume that we have now one thing lifeless on our pores and skin. But so-called “dead” pores and skin is a bit completely different than what we often consider as lifeless. We’re not speaking zombies right here.
Dead pores and skin refers to lifeless pores and skin “cells.” You might keep in mind out of your biology class that our our bodies, together with the pores and skin, are made from up trillions of little cells. They’re continually dividing to provide new cells that change the outdated ones. As this pure course of takes place, new cells spring to life, and outdated cells die.
Estimates are that about 40 to 50 billion cells die on daily basis in a single human. Inside the physique, the outdated cells are damaged down by enzymes and scavenged by the immune system, which sends white blood cells to eat the lifeless cells. (Okay, possibly we’re kind of like zombies.) The white cells then use the power they get from digesting the lifeless cells to make different white cells.
On the floor of the physique, nonetheless, there is nothing round that eats these lifeless cells. Instead, they’re sloughed off and discarded as we go about our every day lives. Sort of.
In the pores and skin, new cells start within the deep layers and then journey as much as the outermost layer. This course of takes a couple of month. When they get there, they die off and finally are shed off. Every hour about 40,000 pores and skin cells are shed!
As we grow old, nonetheless, sure components could cause these lifeless pores and skin cells to construct up on the pores and skin’s floor as a substitute of being shed away.
Why Do Dead Skin Cells Build Up?
When we’re younger, we have now no drawback shedding lifeless pores and skin cells. As we grow old, although, it turns into simpler for these lifeless pores and skin cells to hold round and trigger issues. Here are a number of explanation why this occurs.
Simply getting older tends to decelerate the mobile renewal course of within the pores and skin. The new cells don’t come up as shortly as they did earlier than, which may trigger the outdated lifeless cells to pile up on the floor of the pores and skin.
2. Dry Skin
When your pores and skin is dry, the cells on the floor die off sooner than normal. Dry pores and skin additionally creates a tough barrier that traps the lifeless pores and skin cells.
Dry, arid climates, and chilly, frigid temperatures each create dry air. This causes your pores and skin to lose moisture sooner than normal, resulting in dry pores and skin. As we famous above, dry pores and skin leads to lifeless pores and skin cell buildup.
4. Lack of Exfoliation
Exfoliating your pores and skin helps loosen up these trapped lifeless pores and skin cells so they’re simpler to shed. If you’re not getting sufficient exfoliation, that lifeless pores and skin might keep proper the place it is.
5. Using the Wrong Moisturizer
As famous above, dry and dehydrated pores and skin is extra prone to lifeless pores and skin cell buildup. You could also be moisturizing your pores and skin, but when your moisturizer isn’t working very properly, you’ll have lifeless pores and skin cell buildup. You’ve in all probability skilled this earlier than when utilizing hand lotion that smelled good however didn’t do a lot to melt your pores and skin.
6. Wearing Masks
During the COVID-19 pandemic, we’re all sporting masks greater than normal. While they might help cut back the unfold of the virus, they’ll additionally trigger a buildup of lifeless pores and skin cells on the floor of your pores and skin. They create a moist setting, trapping oil, dust, and particles subsequent to the pores and skin, which may clog pores and gradual pure exfoliation.
How to Get Rid of Dead Skin Cells
If lifeless pores and skin hangs round too lengthy, you might undergo from:
- Increased pimples breakouts
- More whiteheads and blackheads
- Dull wanting pores and skin
- Older wanting pores and skin
To hold your pores and skin wanting its finest, observe these tips:
- Cleanse frequently: Most of your lifeless pores and skin cells will slough off naturally throughout cleaning. You can use a cleaning brush when you like to ensure they’re rinsed away.
- Exfoliate: Exfoliate your pores and skin between as soon as and twice per week. This helps do away with any cussed lifeless pores and skin cells and turns into extra essential across the age of 40. Beware of “physical exfoliators” that will injury the pores and skin and improve irritation. These comprise scratchy, harsh chunks that may create small wounds within the pores and skin that later result in breakouts and irritation. Instead, select mild chemical exfoliators with fruit acids (citric, lactic, malic, glycolic, and tartaric) that break down lifeless abilities and will let you wash them away.
- Don’t exfoliate an excessive amount of: Be cautious that you just don’t get too aggressive with exfoliation. It can truly injury the pores and skin and make it worse. If you discover pores and skin turning into dry, flaky, or irritated, again off to solely as soon as per week or much less.
- Moisturize: Every time after you cleanse or exfoliate, be sure to’re utilizing a top quality moisturizer. Remember—moisturized pores and skin is more healthy and much less prone to undergo from lifeless pores and skin cell buildup. We advocate our Calming Moisture and Body Repair Lotion as they penetrate deeply and assist hold the pores and skin’s outer layer healthy and sturdy.
What do you consider lifeless pores and skin cells?
Photo by RODNAE Productions from Pexels.