As of late, cauliflower has risen to a degree of fame effectively past its typical place on a veggie tray — as the customarily last-picked merchandise — and its “ghost broccoli” moniker.
The cruciferous vegetable has been round for 1000’s of years, however improvements to its cooking methods make it really feel new and thrilling. Roasted, steamed, puréed, fried, uncooked, pickled, grilled, riced — cauliflower has a refined taste, permitting it to be extremely versatile and pair effectively with different bolder flavors.
Cauliflower has even turn out to be a go-to substitute for these avoiding gluten or aiming to scale back their starchy carbohydrate consumption. Its benefits, nevertheless, lengthen effectively past that: It accommodates anti-inflammatory properties and is loaded with nutritional vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, antioxidants, and fiber, making it a healthy add to anybody’s eating regimen.
While white cauliflower is the most typical selection, the vegetable additionally is available in purple, orange, and inexperienced colours, every with their very own refined taste variations. Choose your desire and luxuriate in it within the recipes under to reap its many dietary advantages.
Cauliflower-Parmesan Crust With Bacon, Arugula, and Tomato
Compatible with most savory pizza toppings, this delicate crust is finest made into personal-size pizzas.
Makes 4 6-inch pizzas
Prep/Cook time: 45 to 60 minutes
For the crust:
- 1 medium head cauliflower, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 2 eggs, crushed
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly floor black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
For the toppings:
- 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups (1 pint) cherry tomatoes
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- Salt and freshly floor black pepper to style
- 2 oz. recent mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped recent basil
- 4 cups baby arugula or spinach
Preheat the oven to 400 levels F.
Make the crust:
- Steam the cauliflower till tender. Cool after which pulse in a food processor till it resembles couscous.
- Pour the cauliflower right into a strainer, then press out the surplus moisture.
- Mix the cauliflower with the remaining crust components. Divide into 4 mounds and press every right into a 6-inch circle on a parchment-lined sheet pan.
- Bake till golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let sit about 15 minutes.
Prepare the toppings:
- Increase oven temperature to 450 levels F.
- Drizzle a baking sheet with olive oil, and roast the tomatoes within the oven till they burst, about 15 minutes.
- Toss the tomatoes with the bacon, and season with salt and pepper.
- Top every pizza crust with the tomato-bacon combination, mozzarella, and basil.
- Bake till the cheese is melted after which gown with a handful of arugula or spinach.
Source: “Cauliflower-Parmesan Crust With Bacon, Arugula, and Tomato” (Experience Life, 2014)
Creamy Cauliflower Soup
Leeks, garlic, and different alliums comprise prebiotics, an indigestible fiber that gives crucial assist in your intestine microbiome and digestive health.
Makes 4 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
- 1 head cauliflower
- 4 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks (white and lightweight inexperienced components), rinsed and chopped completely
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 14-oz. can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425 levels F. Chop the cauliflower into bite-sized items, then place in a big bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Spread cauliflower on a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes.
- Place a inventory pot over medium warmth and add remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. When the oil is shimmering, add leeks. Cook till translucent, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook dinner an extra one to two minutes.
- Add roasted cauliflower, water, coconut milk, and spices to the inventory pot and produce to a boil. Reduce warmth to low, and permit soup to simmer till the cauliflower is tender, about 35 minutes.
- Allow soup to cool barely, then add to a blender and mix till easy, venting the lid barely to let steam escape. Alternatively, use an immersion blender to mix instantly within the pot. Serve.
Source: “Creamy Cauliflower Soup” (Experience Life, 2020)
Herb-Infused Cauliflower Rice
This Indian-inspired paleo rice has turmeric, coriander, cumin, and different warming spices.
Makes six servings
Prep time: 15 to 20 minutes
Cook time: 5 to 6 minutes
- 1 1/2 lb. cauliflower, trimmed and lower into 1-in. florets
- 6 tbs. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 6 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. floor turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. floor coriander
- 1/4 tsp. floor cumin
- 1/8 tsp. floor cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt, plus extra to style
- 1/4 tsp. freshly floor black pepper
- 1 cup tightly packed chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup tightly packed chopped mint leaves
- Place the cauliflower florets in a steamer basket and steam till simply tender-crisp, about 5 to six minutes. Remove from warmth and permit to cool barely.
- Place the cooked cauliflower in a food processor and pulse about 15 instances, till the feel is okay, with items in regards to the measurement of rice grains.
- In a big bowl, whisk collectively the lemon juice, olive oil, turmeric, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Add the cauliflower and toss effectively to coat. Taste, and regulate with a few pinches of salt, if wanted.
- When the cauliflower has fully cooled, fold within the parsley and mint. Serve at room temperature.
Source: “Herb-Infused Cauliflower Rice” (Experience Life, 2018)
This creamy, comforting gratin is a cinch to make. If crème fraîche isn’t obtainable, sub heavy whipping cream or bitter cream.
Makes 4 to six servings
Prep/cook dinner time: 60 to 70 minutes
- 1 massive head of cauliflower, about 1½ kilos, trimmed and lower into 1-inch items
- 1 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly floor black pepper
- 1 8-ounce container of crème fraîche
- 1/4 cup chopped inexperienced onions or chives
- 1 cup finely grated Manchego cheese, about 2 ounces
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 400 levels F.
- In an 8-x-8-inch baking pan, toss the cauliflower with the oil, salt, and pepper.
- Roast the cauliflower for about 20 minutes, or till it begins to brown.
- Meanwhile, combine collectively the crème fraîche, inexperienced onions, and cheese. When the cauliflower is completed roasting, stir within the crème-fraîche combination.
- Sprinkle with the almonds, and bake for an additional 30 to 40 minutes, or till the gratin is golden brown and bubbly.
Source: “Cauliflower-Manchego Gratin” (Experience Life, 2014)
Cauliflower florets are battered in a spiced chickpea-flour combination, roasted in a sizzling oven, and drizzled with a selfmade Korean sizzling sauce.
Makes 4 servings
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
For the cauliflower:
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 medium head cauliflower, trimmed into florets
- 1 tbs. avocado oil or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup scallions, sliced thinly on the diagonal, as garnish (non-compulsory)
For the sauce:
- 1 tbs. red-chili or gochujang paste
- 3 tbs. rice wine or sherry
- 2 tbs. rice vinegar
- 1 tbs. tamari
- 3 tbs. honey
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbs. minced recent gingerroot
- Preheat oven to 450 levels F. To make the batter, mix chickpea flour, smoked paprika, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Whisk, then whisk within the water till easy.
- Toss cauliflower florets within the batter, ensuring to coat every bit.
- Place a heavy baking sheet within the sizzling oven and let it warmth for 5 minutes.
- Remove and drizzle with avocado or coconut oil, then unfold the cauliflower on prime of the recent oil.
- Drizzle leftover batter over any naked spots on cauliflower. Quickly put the pan again within the oven to retain its warmth. Bake 25 minutes.
- While the cauliflower bakes, make the sauce: In a small saucepan, mix all of the components. Place the pot over medium-high warmth and produce to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook dinner for about 5 minutes, till barely thickened.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and flip the cauliflower with a spatula. Drizzle evenly with the sauce and bake for 10 minutes longer.
- Garnish with scallions and serve instantly.
Source: “Korean Cauliflower” (Experience Life, 2019)